Monday, September 3, 2007

Short Stories

Today, I sat down and wrote a short story. This is interesting, because whenever I would work on a short story before, I would always write it as part of my series of short stories eventually to be collected into a book. Today, the short story that I wrote was a standalone story, and instead of being 20 pages, like those other stories usually are, it ended up being 8. This one I was thinking of sending to Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine.
It's pretty interesting, and it all came out of me sitting in front of my uncle's Windows Vista laptop trying to come up with a story. I figured that generally I only write Science Fiction, so I chose a category that turns up in sceince fiction from time to time (Cloning) and wrote a little on that. I also just read Anthem by Ayn Rand, and so that may have influenced the story just a little bit, but not too much. Hopefully some other people will like it.
Also, yesterday I finished up another short story in my collection of short stories, although this one was quite a bit longer, ending up at 56 pages over the course of 12 days, although if you looked at the days that I actually spent writing, it would really be around four or so. I sent that one off to my sister for proofreading, because I was thinking of getting that one published as a standalone story eventually in some science fiction fanzine or something like that.

On a side note, my uncle and aunt left to return to Chicago tonight. They're supposedly going to come out next year, but that may or may not work out in the long run. Anyways, just thought I'd mention that, because it means no more using the Vista laptop. So sad...

Anyways, maybe later I'll try and post that entire short story on here, once I figure a couple of things out.

No comments: