Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Film and Video Game Music

Today, I decided to write an article about something that I have very little expertise in: music. This year in high school (Ninth grade) I am taking music as my elective. However, instead of choosing an instrument (I play guitar, violin, viola, cello) I decided that I would do music composition. It's going all right, but not spectacular, but what I really want to write about now is how important music in film and video games, and tell you who my favorites are.
Okay, first off, games and films suck without the right music. Would Star Wars Episode III even be cool if it weren't for the music? Sure it had Darth Vader, but not until the end...okay, back on subject, music adds a whole other layer of interactivity between the audience and whatever is being played/watched. Sure, you don't really interact with it, but it just makes it seem more visceral. Right now I'm playing through The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay on my Xbox, and when that battle music comes up, man I'm humming along and I can't get it out of my head. What I really hate, however, is when I see interviews with composers and they're like, "Oh yes, we talk in colors, we just decide the color of the scene and I compose music to go with that color." Yeah right. I hate it when filmmakers talk like that. "Yes, we just had to get into character and get into everything." Whatever. You're making a movie. You're standing in front of a camera and delivering lines. Sure there is a little bit of skill involved, but not enough to give me that artsy fartsy junk.

Okay...way off track. Anyways, these are my favorite composers.

John Williams - If you've seen Star Wars, you know why
Howard Shore - Lord of the Rings is awesome in all respects, and Into the West practically makes me cry.
James Newton Howard - King Kong and Shattered Glass have some really awesome music.
Klaus Badelt - If you don't know who this is, look him up now.
Hans Zimmer - Sure he steals credit (Look up Klaus Badelt again, I seriously didn't know that it was he who did Pirates of the Caribbean until I bought the soundtrack), but he's pretty darn good.
And finally...

Harry Gregson-Williams - The Chronicles of Narnia was the first film that had music that really 'spoke' to me or hooked me. Also, Metal Gear Solid's 2 and 3 have some of the best music ever. I think that they should release yet another enhanced edition of MGS 1 just so that he oculd compose the music for it and make it truly even more amazing than it already is.

No comments: