Thursday, September 6, 2007

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion the Witch and Wardrobe

The Lord of the Rings is one of my favorite series of books. I like them so much that I ended up buying the 50th Anniversary Edition of the books, setting me back nearly $100. Then, one day, The Chronicles of Narnia book series was recommended to me. I bought all seven of them in one big collection and started to read. Instead of the hard read that I expected, since they were supposedly similair to the Lord of the Rings, they were extremely easy to read, and I got through them rather quickly. Just that first impression made them into some of my favorite books ever, so much, in fact, that my first ever attempts at writing a script was an adaptation of the books, because I believed that they needed to be made into a series of films that did them justice (Not those stupid TV movies).

Then, I heard about the film. I was worried, as any fan of any book is, that they would just ruin it through the process of Hollywood-ization. My family doesn't usually go to the movies, at least not when movies first come out (We usually go to the dollar theater), but ther was no option this time, we were going to go. The first thing that hit me about the movie was the opening sequence with the bombing planes. That was awesome, and one of the things that made me go back and re-read the books, because I didn't remember anything about the war being mentioned in the book. The second thing that hit me was the music. As I said before in my post about music, I loved this soundtrack, and it wsa really the first movie that really grabbed ahold of me, just through the music. The third thing that hit was the pacing. Really, it was a pretty slow movie if you look at it, but when you're watching it, you just don't realize that. The next thing that hit me ws the battle sequence at the end. Even watching it again now just on its own without watching any of the movie beforehand, I feel a wierd feeling of pride and joy at the sequence. Then, when you mix in the awesoem visuals with the music, it is movie heaven. The last and most important thing that hit me was the fact that the movie stuck close to the book, even sacrificing the quality of the movie for it. That is what I loved and what stuck with me. Now, I can't wait for the next one, Andrew Adamson better do a good job.

I actually bought the Extended Edition of the movie when it came out, and I have to say, anyone who liked the movie and hasn't seen the extended cut, look on eBay, because what little they add to the movie is worth it, and the special features are really cool too.

No comments: