Saturday, September 15, 2007

Movie Review #1 - Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

So today I thought I would mix it up and review all three of the Pirates of the Caribbean films. This here is the first one!

Overall: 4/4 Stars
Pros: Great story, witty dialogue, and some of the best movie music ever combine to create a really awesome time.
Cons: Does it really have to end?

The first time I saw this movie, it was instantly my favorite movie. Everything in it was amazing, the visual effects, the swordplay, the dialogue, the story...everything. It made for a really entertaining two hours, and it is a surprisingly good film to watch over again several times. The whole supernatural element mixed in with the whole pirate theme is one that just gives me goosebumps because it usually wouldn't work, but in this case they made it work in such a way that almost as soon as the wierd things started happening, I was hooked and lost all doubts about the movie.

There is a part of this movie that deserves special mention here: the music. Klaus Badelt, a little known German composer working in Hans Zimmer's studio, has composed here one of the absolute best soundtrack's of all time, rivaling Star Wars to such a degree that I really cannot pick a favorite. I have the soundtrack, and I listen to it as often as I can. There's something about it that just excites me and energizes me, why, I don't know, but it does. Really, if you consider yourself to be a movie lover, go see this movie if you haven't already, and if you consider yourself a lover of 'modern' classical music, i. e. movie soundtracks, then go out and get this music immediately.

No comments: