Saturday, September 15, 2007

Movie Review #3 - Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

The third part of a trilogy.

Overall: 2/4 Stars
Pros: Witty dialogue, okay music, some good battles, and great special effects.
Cons: Stupid story, some pretty boring characters, unbelievable and impractical battles and situations.

So, really, I loved the first two Pirates movies, and so I had high expectations for this third one. Boy was I let down. First off, lets start with my chief complaint, the story. The first two movies did an admirable job of mixing the supernatural and pirate themes together, while this one focuses almost exclusively on the former, making the entire movie more about mythology and pirate lords and pirate legends and stuff like that. The movie concentrated more on becoming a spectacle unto itself instead of fitting in with the other two movies and becoming an awesome and epic trilogy. The music for this entry was done by Hans Zimmer, who composed the music for the second movie as well, and really I was quite disappointed. Really, I only heard the main Pirates themes that I know and love about 10 times in the whole movie, mostly in the background so that you could barely hear them. That was a major disappointment to me. The visual effects are as good as ever, and I really admire what ILM has done, but they can't help save an overall disappointing movie experience.

No comments: