Friday, August 31, 2007

The Art of Novels

Right now, I am currently working on actually three novels, an update from the two that I said I was working on back in the post 'My Dream Job', as well as a collection of short stories.
A few publishers that I have looked at their submission guidelines have all said that they want their novels to be at least 80,000 words, which is actually extremely hard to do. Right now my main focus is on the short story collection. Each of the stories is focused on one central theme or idea, and each different story could really be considered just a chapter in an overarching novel. Right now I'm working on the sixth of ten planned stories, and even with all five previous stories crammed together, it equals 99 pagers (Not in manuscript format) and roughly 20,000 words. Now that is really a lot of writing to do over the period of one month.
I deeply admire novelists who churn out book after book. Mind you, some of them take their time and write huge novels that take forever to get published, but my favorite novelists are the Philip K. Dick novelists, the ones that need to write to survive and so churn out book after book, each one being a high qualiy piece.
Hopefully I eventually become that kind of novelist. I can write very fast and very well, its just a matter of actually getting things published. Maybe in a few days I'll post one my short stories in its entirety. That would be kidna cool, right?

No comments: