Wednesday, August 22, 2007

My Thoughts on the Next Generation Consoles, and Halo: Uprising

Okay, so this blog is becoming pretty much daily rather than weekly, but that's okay, because I'm enjoying it. So, today, I thought that I would actually talk about my thoughts on certain parts of the video game industry, rather than just talking about games that I like. So, with that in mind I wrote today about the next generation consoles currently on the market, and even though I'm trying to seperate today's post from the last two posts, I couldn't help but talk about the Halo: Uprising comic before I get into all of that good stuff. So...

Halo: Uprising
I just picked up my reserve copy of the comic from my local comics dealer, and it is pretty awesome. The artwork is pretty good, and the story is great, I just wish it had more to do with Master Cheif. Although, this is only the first of four issues, so chances are that it will get better and make more sense in the future. If you are a big Halo fan, I definitely recommend picking it up. The store where I got mine said that they had a whole shipment this morning, and that they expected the four remaining issues that they had to be sold out within an hour after I came. Good think I reserved it.

Okay, now that that's done, I'll get on with what I really wanted to talk about:

My Thoughts on the Next Generation Consoles
Nintendo Wii

So I'll start with the Wii. My friend has one and I've been over to his house to play it several times. All of the games that we've played have had super smooth gameplay and have been super awesome, but still the Wii is third on my list of Next-Gen consoles to buy. Why? Because of its game selection. I'm a gamer that likes fun games, but I'm also not the kind of person to by the kind of lighthearted Mario-fare that already dominates the system. Sure, the console has got Red Steel (Which was better than people give it credit for) and Resident Evil 4, but other than that, there's really no big draw for me.
But even then, I still have to commend Nintendo for making a family-friendly console with revolutionary gameplay. Now all they have to do is get some real games for the system.

Playstation 3
Number two on my list of systems to buy is the PS3. The system is awesome, there's no denying that, but for the games that I want to buy right now, such as Halo and BioShock, it's impractical. I can't wait until I do get one, simply because the graphics are awesome, the Sixaxis is cool, and there are going to be a whole ton of really cool games for it. I already want Ninja Gaiden Sigma almost as much as Halo 3. But that really isn't enough to make me run out and get it just yet. Semi-revolutionary gameplay concepts like motion control (The Wii's motion control is innovative, PS3's is tacked on) aren't enough to make me run out and get it however. I'll get one eventually, but just not right now.

Xbox 360
Now I really don't like Microsoft all that much, but I really want a 360 right now, just because of all of the awesome games that I really want to play on it (Halo 3, BioShock, Splinter Cell: Conviction, or even Splinter Cell: Double Agent for that matter). I like the design, especially of the Halo 3 console and the Elite model. It doesn't have as awesome specs as the PS3, but if its got the right games, than that's good enough for me. Ultimately I don't really have a preference, despite how slanted I may seem in this post, but because of all of the games that cater to a gamer of my tastes, this console is the right one for me.

So that's all. Please leave any and all thoughts and comments on this and any other posts.

No comments: