Thursday, December 13, 2007

Movie Review #9: Road to Perdition

Road to Perdition
Overall
: 9/10
Pros: Great story, action, adventure, character, writing, imagery...
Cons: Nothing major, except that it is a little slow at the start

I first heard of Road to Perdition by reading the phenomenal graphic novel that was held in my local library. The book was amazing, filled with a great story, amazing characters, awe inspiring visuals, and stark graphic moments. The thing was truly a piece of amazing work, and I still love rereading it to this day.

I wasn't sure about the movie. I had heard that it was good, but I was worried because I loved the book so much, and what I really wanted from the movie was a complete and faithful adaptation of the book. And that's exactly what I got.

The cast is the first major part of the movie that I love. Everyone was perfectly cast, and each actor fully embodies their character, making them into living, breathing people on the screen. The writing is also excellent, faithfully translating the core of the graphic novel while also adding a whole other level of emotion and back story to the story, as well as a new character whom I absolutely love.

Overall, the film wasn't perfect. It was a little bit slow at times, especially in the beginning, but the story as a whole as well as the execution of that story more than made up for the whole thing. My one other complaint is that in the graphic novel the kid narrates the story as an adult after he became a priest, and in the movie he narrates it as a child while talking about events that happen in his future. It works but it just seem sorts of stupid to me.

No comments: