Thursday, December 20, 2007

Book Review: Clans of the Alphane Moon by Philip K. Dick

Overall: 3/4 Stars

This is yet again, another great Philip K. Dick novel. It is witty and funny and smart and extremely well thought through. The characters are well-developed and memorable, and the technologies in the book are flawlessly integrated and thought out.

The setting...well, call me stupid but I was sort of confused on that point so I never really got the actual setting, but that doesn't matter, at least overall, as long as you realize about the two different planets or moons that are the major areas of debate throughout the whole book.

The main characters of the book are extremely memorable and human, and the secondary characters are also some of my favorite in literature as a whole. I especially loved the slime character and the comedian Bunny Hentman.

Now, I do have to say that I really didn't understand the philosophical or intellectual reason behind this book. Unlike other PKD books that have a clear philosophical message or idea that they want to get across, this one seems to have a lot more to do with political messages, such as things like class and mental classifications and all sorts of social messages like that. However, the book was extremely detailed and thought out and wonderfully implemented. It was truly absoluteley perfect.

Overall, I can't say that this is one of PKD's best novels, and it isn't even one of his better ones, but it is still worth a read if you are a PKD fan, or if you like good science fiction.

No comments: