Sunday, November 18, 2007

This Holiday's Video Game Dilemma

In just four days (and counting) many of us will be sitting down to Thanksgiving, a celebration of friends and family and (some would say most importantly) good food. That day is the day that I will be celebrating my 15th birthday, even if the real thing isn't for another week, and so I think that I'll have the money to go and buy one game. The trouble is, I can't pick between Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty 4. So, I've decided to rate them by their own merits.

Mass Effect
Pros: Awesome story, amazing graphics, cool gameplay
Cons: I suck at RPG's, heavily stat based

Concept: Take the team that made one of the best Star Wars games ever and let them make their own amazing idea. Also, start amazing trilogy of games.
Graphics: Right up there with the best of the best. Especially great facial animations and things like that.
Sound: Well, I'm not sure about all of this, especially the music. But right now it looks like it will have hours and hours of voice acting that is going to be just absolutely spectacular, so...
Playibility: RPG's are always a little hard to control, and from what I've seen it appears that combat is somewhat squad based, albeit real-time, so...I'm not sure how that's gonna play out.
Entertainment: Oh the entertainment will be there, just hopefully you won't have to level an insane amount to get at it.
Replay Value: Hopefully high, but then if it takes 200 hours to get through, do you really want to have to do that all over again?

Assassin's Creed
Pros:
It looks like it'll have a great story, interesting characters, interesting gameplay.
Cons: It looks a little to sandbox and open-ended for me.

Concept: Prince of Persia for the next generation with a better plot and all that.
Graphics: Well, the environments look really amazing so far, but they really haven't showcased what they are doing about the nitty gritty details yet, so I'm not sure how it looks at street level so to speak.
Sound: I don't really know. They haven't really talked about that all that much and I haven't really experienced anything that gives me an impression of what the sound will be like, so I can't really tell. What I do know is that it looks like the sound, music, and acting will be pretty good.
Playibility: From what I've heard, the controls are great and work well, but are kind of hard to learn.
Entertainment: It looks like a great adventure that will last for hours on end. The trouble is, Im not sure if I want to invest that many hours into it. I'm sure it'll be great and spectacular, but will it be fun?
Replay Value: Hopefully high, but it looks kind of medium to me.

Call of Duty 4
Pros
: Graphics that make my jaw drop, perfect FPS action, fun to play.
Cons: Since I'm primarily a Campaign player, the six hour long campaign that many gaming magazines report makes me want to cry.

Concept: Take Call of Duty is a whole new direction and make it absolutely awesome and perfect.
Graphics: The best that we've seen so far in this generation. Seriously, it makes me think that in the next generation of game consoles we will see truly photorealistic graphics. Meanwhile, this is as close as we're gonna get...maybe.
Sound: From what I hear, awesome. Sound effects look to be awesome, and most war games have really great orchestrated music, and hopefully this one does too.
Playibility: The controls are great, supposedly, and the 360's controller is great for FPS games, so that combined with a Halo 3-esque control scheme will have me smiling from ear to ear.
Entertainment: Supposedly non-stop thrills and amazing experiences, this game has it all. Trouble is, it looks to be too short to play through more than a handful of times, so...I'm not sure if that is something I'll really like.
Replay Value: I want to say high, just because the game looks so awesome, but with a really short campaign mode, it looks to gravitate more towards medium.

So there you have it, my thoughts on the latest and greatest console video games. The trouble is I have my thoughts down...and I still don't know which one I'm going to buy.

No comments: