Tuesday, November 27, 2007

First Impressions: Oblivion and Mass Effect

Yesterday I bought The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Collector's Edition from my local Gamecrazy for $25 (Plust tax). Today I received in the mail a game that I ordered on Thanksgiving day: the Mass Effect Limited Edition.

Now, I'm not great at RPG's, even though I love them, and I have to say-so far, I love both of these games a phenomenal amount. So here is what I think of them so far:

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Xbox 360)
I was very nervous about buying this game. First off, the world of Tamriel is a world that will take anyone literally hundreds of hours to explore to its full extent like I am so fond of doing, and second off, I was extremely worried about how first-person sword combat would work.

The world is so beautiful that the first part is something that I shouldn't be worried about; it's begging to be explored. As far as the side missions go...they look cool, but I doubt that I'll complete very many of them, I'm just going to stick to the main quest. But everything, and I mean everything, is rendered in such beautiful detail that the exploration parts of the game, or the optional exploration parts, are actually incredibly fun.

And the sword combat works surprisingly well. I was primarily worried that they had only made one attack animation for the sword combat, but thankfully they've made a really cool system with numerous animations and combos and all sorts of things like that. It's really just awesome.

The game overall so far (About an hour of playing) has been extremely fun and detailed and I can't wait to invest more time into it.

The Collector's Edition special features are brief, but nice. The trailer is awesome, and what is really the only other major feature on it: a 45-minute documentary about the making of the game, is extremely well done and it is really fun to watch. The packaging for the Collector's Edition is awesome, and the book that comes with it is really cool to read and just look at, beign exquisetly designed and crafted.

Mass Effect (Xbox 360)
This is the one game that I really, really wanted this year. In all the trailers it just looked absolutely spectacular and like it was going to be something amazing to experience, and so far (About 3 hours) it has been one of the most amazing RPG experiences ever.

The combat, while not perfect, is really more fun than I thought that it would be, and the laser pistols and weapons really feel a lot like normal FPS and 3PS weapons, which is something that I really appreciate. The squad controls are nice, especially with the allies that you meet up with, and the graphics make the whole thing just a joy to experience.

However, the thing that I mostly have to commend in the game is its conversation interface. Really, it sounds stupid, but that is really one of my favorite parts of the game. The usually tedious task of conversations and information finding are replaced with something that is a joy to experience in every single way possible. It is just awesome.

The Limited Edition is really, really spectacular. It is in a Gears of War-style case, and the bonus features and bonus books are just really fun to watch and read. They had a whole ton of information to the game world and just make an already spectacular game even more immersive than it already is.

Overall
Overall...I have to pick out Mass Effect as the better game so far. But that is not to say that I don't like Oblivion, its just that I've had more time to play Mass Effect and more time to see what it really has to offer. That's something I haven't done with Oblivion so far, so...my opinion on that matter doesn't really count.

Three days till my birthday!

No comments: