Saturday, October 27, 2007

Movie Review #5: Edward Scissorhands

Okay, it's been awhile since I've done this but here we go. Today I'm going to do a movie review and a video game review.

Edward Scissorhands
Overall:
9/10
Pros: Quirky characters, good music, great stylistic design and good acting.
Cons: The ending sucks.

This was one of those movies that I heard about when I started to get into the genius of Tim Burton. I rented it and watched it several months ago, and just recently I bought it and watched it again. My thoughts and impressions haven't changed: this is one good movie. The acting is superb, the storyline is awesome, and it is just really cool over all. The musical score by Danny Elfman is another element that I really liked about the film.

What I loved about this movie was that it was a comedy overall. As a little kid looking at the cover to this movie in the store or at Blockbuster, I could admit that I was a little frightened. I probably thought it was some movie about a killer or something. But now, having seen it and read about it and experienced it, I can truly say that it is one of my favorite films of all time.

The only downside is the ending. The whole movie used Frankenstein kind of as a motif or even a basic outline for the plot, and so the workup to the ending isn't very surprising at all, and really what actually happens isn't a surprise either, it is simply following the logical arc of the story. But, no matter what, the ending stinks, it's simply too short and too dumb. The rest of the movie awesome, and it more than makes up for a lackluster ending, but still, come on...

Also, for a little bit of movie trivia, my uncle was actually an extra in the movie. He's in the garden sequence.

No comments: