Saturday, February 23, 2008

Movie Review #13: Blade Runner {2007 'The Final Cut'}

Blade Runner {2007 The Final Cut}
Overall: 9/10
Pros: Still a great story and atmosphere, tons of amazing visual imagery
Cons: Still slow, a little bit plodding

I can say for sure that I have no real preference between the 1982 Theatrical Cut of Blade Runner or the newly released 'Final Cut'. I can also say that I don't really care if Deckard is a replicant or not; what really matters is that the question is there and the needless debate over the question will keep the movie in people's minds forever.

What matters is if the movie is good, and this movie is great.

The first time I saw the movie, as in, the first time I watched the 1982 cut of the movie, I was a little bit overwhelmed with the visual imagery, and while I loved it, I'm not sure if I really appreciated it. Now I have the image of the Tyrell Pyramid permanently burned in my mind, and Roy Batty saying, "All of these moments will be lost, like...tears...in rain," practically makes me weep. Now I truly realize and appreciate the beauty of this movie and its amazing look and execution.

I still have minor complaints about the pacing and the real lack of any sort of major plot, but I still think that the movie's brilliant. Really what I like most about this definitive cut of the picture is that it takes out the voice over which, while informative, detracted a little bit from the movie. This also still contains the unicorn sequence that was present in the 1992 'Director's Cut' which was the start of all of that 'Deckard: Replicant of Human?' stuff, and so I like the fact that it was in this cut because I like the fact that it has inspired debate amongst the fan base. But still, I truly have to say that I have no real preference between the two. I truly love both versions (voice over and no voice over) equally.

One last thing that I must mention: Roy Batty's final speech in the movie. I loved it in the 1982 cut of the film and thought of it as a great movie moment and a defining moment that gave definition and meaning to a film that was otherwise pretty much meaningless. At that time, however, I didn't realize how profound an effect it would have on me during this second viewing. This time, as the rain fell and the light turned blue and Rutger Hauer's speech came up, I was completely engrossed in the moment and, more importantly, in the character. As he told about the wonders that he had seen, the attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion and whatnot, I was completely inside this character and emotionally involved in how horrible a moment this was for him. And then when he started talking about the memories being completely lost in rain, memories that no one else has or could ever have, I was crying some, and every time I think about it I still almost cry because for some reason or another, I was completely emotionally involved in a film that initially polarized me in all respects. Before, I didn't realize how amazing this moment was and how important it was, even if only to science fiction fans, and now I must say that it is my absolute favorite moment from a film. The movie itself may not be my absolute favorite, but I will cherish that moment of this particular film forever.

No comments: